Worthing College v SGS College Quarter Final National Colleges League

Full time; Worthing 0-3 SGS College

Player of the match – Jodie Pallant

Due to unfortunate injuries, Worthing were forced to make several changes in the way they set up. Worthing started slow, conceding within the first 10 minutes but quickly bounced back and began to play some good football, trying to hit the forward pass to Sara Tubby. Worthing kept disciplined in their defensive shape and this left Bristol trying to force their passes, causing them to become frustrated. SGS earned themselves a corner which they took quickly going short, the ball got played in behind to their centre forward who managed to find the back of the net however there was a question of offside but after the ref spoke to the linesman he gave it to the home team making the score line 2-0. Worthing kept patient for the first half and changed their shape a little to try and encourage the counter.

The second half started with SGS finding the wide areas trying to get success from crosses. This only caused a couple of problems for Worthing as their defensive shape was hard to break down. Worthing kept disciplined and kept the ball moving in order to then find the forward pass into the centre forward (Sara) and the wingers (Hayley and Brooke). The press from the central attacking midfielders was proving an issue for SGS and Worthing were close to finding success from a shot from Valentine which unfortunately went just wide. Worthing kept trying their luck as much a possible and a lovely goal kick from Molly Towers into Sara found Worthing on a break however it was unfortunately called offside and this caused Worthing much frustration. Sara then found herself with another chance to give Worthing a goal when pressure on the SGS keeper had Sara almost 1v1 and with an obvious handball from the keeper outside of the box SGS were unfairly awarded a free kick.

Worthing kept pushing trying to break through the SGS defence, formation even changed going from a 4-5-1 to a 4-4-2 to add on that bit of pressure to SGS. This however lead to them finding a break out wide and a deflection off of the crossbar into the path of their forward made the score line 3-0. This however didn’t make Worthing quit and they kept their shape very well going to a 3-5-2 they had one last break. A ball through to Hayley Bridge caused their defender to commit a foul and Worthing were awarded a free kick which Jodie Pallent stepped up to take, the ball fell to Annie who headed it into valentine who’s shot went over. Worthing kept persistent and kept working hard however it wasn’t enough and the final scored ended an unfortunate 3-0.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s