Quarter Final of the British Colleges National Cup

Worthing college 3 – 0 Barking Abbey College.

Worthing were at home against Barking Abbey who travelled down from London. The game started fast with both teams trying to get a hold of the game. After the first 10 minutes Worthing started gaining good possession mainly in their own half as Barking Abbey sat off allowing Worthing to keep the ball. Worthing started getting success going forward however the final pass lacked quality or was intercepted by the Barking Abbey defence. The movement and rotation that Worthing were making started to pay off as they created chances on goal although not testing the goalkeeper. Until Dan Rowe made a  third man run and was found by a long pass from Annie Rolf; she spotted the goal keeper off her line and judged her shot well managing to lob the keeper finding the back of the net, 1-0. Worthing continued well after their goal pressing Barking Abbey well and not allowing them any chances. After some great one and two touch passing between the thirds the Worthing forwards broke Barking Abbey’s back line with a one-two between Valentine and Hayley putting Valentine through on goal and she calmly found the bottom left hand corner. 2-0. They could have had one or two more goals with some strong attacks but just failed to hit the target at the end. Barking Abbey did worry the Worthing back line near the end of the half as they were rewarded with a free kick in their final third; which troubled Worthing as the free kick found their player in the box whose header was tipped onto the crossbar by Molly Towers. Then the rebound was followed up by a Barking Abbey player, however it hit the woodwork again relieving the danger in the Worthing box. Worthing went into the half 2-0 up after a strong first half display.

Worthing kicked off the second half and kept possession well at the back and in midfield but were lacking quality in the final third. Worthing were successful down the wings with Sara Tubby creating chances down the right. Barking Abbey didn’t cause Worthing’s defence any problems although did have some more possession in the second half. Worthing continued to cause Barking Abbey problems and after some good possession in the oppositions half, some persistence from Hayley Bridge payed off as she nicked the ball in the box turned and shot past the keeper making the score 3-0. Although the second half was slower, Worthing continued to show their dominance in the game and kept the ball well. They had a few long range shots after some well worked play however couldn’t find the back of the net.

The game ended a deserved 3-0 to Worthing knocking Barking Abbey out of the Cup. Worthing will now continue their National cup run into the Semi-Final.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s