Worthing U19’s beat Barnet and Southgate college in the AoC plate QF

Worthing 27 – 10 Barnet

Worthing travelled to north London to play Barnet and Southgate college. After a long trip and several delays Worthing finally arrived with 15minutes to kick off. After a quick change and warm up Worthing were straight into the game. A bright start saw Worthing attack the Barnet line. A series of mistakes and penalties from this position suddenly saw Worthing underneath their posts after 5-0 down after 5minutes. Some strong words were required from coach Hewick. Worthing now got hold of the ball after some strong work from Jack Lake and Alex Bryant at the breakdown. After some really strong footwork by Matt Wrigglesworth a line break was made and passed to Callum Morin who executed the 2 on 1 back to Wrigglesworth to score in the corner. Unfortunately the ref judged it as forward and a scrum was called.

After some strong defence by Alfie Dunk and Iain Lynch worthign once again gained possession on the Barnet 22m line, and Ant Perrins to moved the ball quickly to Jordan Gibson who quickly sidestepped and accelerated through a gap, and side stepped the full back to score. Worthing retained the kick off and responded with a deep kick and made Barnet play from deep. Worthing did well to contain some strong Barnet running through some good tackling from Jesse Beecham and Sam Byrne, this finally led to a knock on and Worthing scrum. From this Jesse Beecham opted for route one and took a hard flat ball from Ant Perrins, he broke the first tackle stepped the full-back to score under the posts, converted by Gibson (12-5). From restart Worthing retained the ball and once again exited with a long kick. The kick chase was good and put Barnet under significant pressure. Worthing continued to put Barnet under large amounts pressure by getting good line speed, this eventually led to an interception by Jordan Gibson who had a long 20m sprint to line to score.

Worthing retained the kick off and decided to play out of their half this time. They moved the ball to the left and Joe Carruthers and Jordan Harkin combined to make a good beak up field. Unfortunately the ball was turned over form the ruck and Barnet ran almost the full length to score under the posts. Conversion missed (17-10). Ref called half time.

Messages at half-time were: maintain possession of the ball, move the away from their forwards and keep the linseed up.

Worthing duly accepted this message and applied it well, they put the Barnet fly-half under significant pressure which forced the Barnet team back and back. Worthing eventually won the ball back through some strong rucking by Alex Bryant and Alife Dunk. They attacked down the right with some quick passing by Gibson (now at fly-half) and Beecham (now at outside centre) to release Jordan Harkin who broke two tackles to dive in the corner, unfortunately he just had a foot out..

Barnet managed to relieve the pressure with a kick which was well fielded by Callum Morin, which started an attack. This attack led in to the Barnet 22m where the ball was fed to Jack Lake who broke one tackle and powered his was over the line to score with 3 Barnet defenders trying to drag to him down (22-10).

The majority of the play now centerd around the Barnet half, with them struggling to repel relentless Worthing attacks. Strong carries by Adam Boxall and strong breakdown work by Tom Youngs meant Worthing were now gaining quick ball at the rucks. This enabled the Worthing half backs to move to ball quickly to Callum Morin, Matt Wrigglesworth and James Monagham, who were now making deep inroads into the Barnet defence. This led to Jack Lake once again making a break and offloading to Callum Morin who dived over in the corner, unfortunately the ref deemed it to be forward and disallowed the try. Eventually Sam Byrne received the ball 5m out and stepped his defender and dived over to make the score (27-10). Worthing received the kick off and once again attacked with a strong carry from Kieran Bradley, who was stopped with a furcious tackle, although he showed great presence to roll in the tackle and present effectively to ensure he maintinaed possession and gave us quick ruck ball. This allowed Jesse Beecham to make a break into space, unfortunately the difficult offload just fell short of the supporting Jordan Harkin.

The ref deemed this to be time and blew up. A good 27-10 win with pleny of positives to take and plenty of work ons to take away in to the semi-final

Gibson X 2 conv X1
Beecham X 1
Sam Byrne X 1
Lake X 1
MOM backs: Matt Wrigglesworth

MoM forwards: Jack Lake and Jordan Gibson

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s