Academy of Sport Round Up – 14.02.14

The Worthing College Men’s Football Performance Programme 1st XI took to the 3G at Waterhall in their first game since January 8th to take on a strong Boreham Wood side in the ECFA National Premier League, and the visitors also play in the Youth Conference League.

The game for Worthing started very cautiously and with Worthing playing into a strong wind, their Hertfordshire opponents had more of the play and chances.  However it was the home side, who took the lead after 25 minutes.  A Charlie Dennis corner was met powerfully by Matt Smith to give Worthing the lead potentially against the run of play.  Confidence grew in Worthing’s play and they begun to pass and move the ball and link this with effective play behind the Boreham Wood backline.  Boreham Wood were always in the game and this was in evidence when they equalised.  The tricky left winger beat full back Josh Parazo and his cross was taken by the wind into the far corner.  1-1.
Worthing regrouped and took the lead almost immediately.  A great pass from Callum Lee found Josh Marshall, who slipped his full back and squared for the hard working striker Luke Richards, whose shot deflected past the despairing Boreham Wood keeper.  2-1 at half time.
With the wind at their backs in the second half Worthing took the game to their opponents creating half chances in the form of strikes from Richards, Harry Smith and Matty Isaacs.  It was a true testament to both sides with the quality that was on show as the conditions seemed to worsen.  After the early onslaught from Worthing, Boreham Wood came back into the game and begun to create chances.  This culminated in a great one handed stop from Worthing stopper Jimmy Punter, low to his left.  However from a free kick Boreham Wood equalised as the number 9 got in front of the Worthing defence to loop the ball into the far corner.  2-2.
The attitude and character from both sides was excellent and this was shown when Worthing again took the lead.  Another Dennis set piece was met at the back post by Callum Lee.  3-2.  Despite Worthing taking the lead the game was on a knife edge and with 15 minutes to go the game swung in the visitors favour for the first time.  Punter was firstly adjudged to have fouled the Boreham Wood number 9, who then despatched the penalty.  3-3.  Then a long pass evaded the Worthing defence and the Boreham Wood winger lobbed the ball over the onrushing Punter.  4-3 Boreham Wood with 10 minutes to go.
Character was required for Worthing to get anything out of this game and needed players to take the game by the scruff of the neck.  First player to do so was Charlie Dennis, who single handedly beat 4 players and crossed the ball, which was diverted into the net by a Boreham Wood defender.  4-4.  The scoring wasn’t over yet with 5 minutes to go Josh Marshall picked up the ball 25 yards out and thundered the ball into the far top corner.  Cue the wild celebrations.  5-4 Worthing.
Worthing held out to record back to back ECFA National League wins, which now sets up an exciting two weeks, where a playoff spot is still a possibility.  Performance Coach Dave Hall summarised the performance “The lads showed superb character today in difficult conditions.  When not on top the team showed great discipline and shape, even though we were not happy with the quality of set piece defending today showed that all players have been doing the extras (gym work, training etc.) to ensure that when the games returned they were at the best physical and mental state to ensure effective performances, so we are all looking forward to the weeks ahead.”
Onwards & Upwards,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s